Lorraine Judith Barrie Chance was last seen dropping off her daughter at a babysitter’s in Santa Cruz on Jan 3, 1948 and was never heard from again. Lorraine’s daughter was raised in Santa Cruz by both of Bud’s sisters, Madelyn Chance Defoe and Eleanor (Anderson) Chance Hollwager. After Eleanor’s passing in November 1960, Lorraine’s daughter was raised by Anita Watts, Eleanor’s good friend. Lee was never see or heard from again by family. Someone claiming to be Lee filed for death benefits with the Navy in the summer of 1948 but the checks were returned. NamUs states that there was a warrant for her arrest at the time.
On Lorraine’s Facebook page it states: “Lorraine claims to have been born in Boston in 1922. She lived in NYC 1942-1945. Lee, as she preferred to be called, married Calvin Homer Chance in 1944 after giving birth to their daughter. The family relocated via U.S. Navy in Santa Cruz, CA. The last know address for the Chance Family was in Sacramento. Calvin died in dry dock accident on the USS Coral Sea (CV-43) in November 1947. Lorraine was last seen dropping her daughter off at the babysitter’s with a promise to return in a couple of hours. She was never seen or heard from again. Lorraine listed Alfonso Barrie as her father on her marriage certificate. #findingLorraine”
- Age at Time of Disappearance: 26-28 years old
- Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4’11”; 99-100 lbs.
- Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Black hair; brown eyes. Wavy/curly hair. Deep-set eyes. High cheekbones. Peaked upper lip, full lips. Olive complexion.
- Marks, Scars: Unknown
- Clothing: Unknown. Usually wore high-heeled shoes.
- Dentals: Not available. Straight teeth.
- AKA: Lee