I receive a lot of questions every day from how to post a missing person to finding someone. And have listed the most popular ones here:
- Where can I post about a missing person?
You can post for free on Missing Persons of America’s Facebook page or go to this tab to read more about posting on the website.
- My loved one went missing; what do I do?
I have written an ebook that tells you everything you need to know about the process of reporting a missing person all the way to drawing attention from Social Media. Click here to read more and order.
- I have contacted the police, what else can I do? Click here to go to a list of resources.
- Do you take tips? Yes, either anonymously or if you want us to use your name we will, it is up to you.
- Do you tell the police about the tip? It depends. Sometimes, we pass it directly to the families and sometimes to the police. But if you have asked us to remain anonymous, we do not tell them where the information came from.
- I haven’t seen my cousin for years, can I get you to find him? We only post missing people that have official missing persons reports submitted to the police.
- Can I post on Missing Persons of America’s Facebook page? Yes, but they must be reported missing to the police, and we suggest a poster of the missing person is usually best. We have found the Aware Foundation on Facebook is very helpful and will put together a poster for you for free. After you get the poster, go ahead and put it on our Facebook page. It will appear on visitors posts (Facebook’s idea not ours).
- When will you be on TV again? I post when I will be on TV on the Facebook page and there are also links to past times I have been on TV or in news reports. You can click here to see them.
Questions from TV and Film Production:
- I am a news reporter can I contact you on a story? Of course, call me directly. Please go to this page to learn how.
- I am working on a TV concept and need your expertise, can I call you? Of course. I receive requests all the time, and have many people before. Please contact me for my hourly rates.
- I am trying to reach the family of a missing person and cannot locate their contact information. Can you help? Yes. Many times I already have that information or I know how to get that information. Please know that although I may have their information, I will contact the family to see if they want to talk with you, first.
- I need help with research, can you help? Yes, I have many hours of experience doing this type of work and I pride myself on being able to go online and research to create a packet of information for a client. Please contact me for my hourly rates.
Volunteers or Students
I would like to volunteer to help. We have several avenues where you can help. We are always looking for stories about the missing and if you like to write, this would be a great opportunity for you to do that. The stories that get the most readership are articles that have a lot of detail that is obtained by talking to friends and family’s of the missing.
I am a college student and I’m thinking of doing my next project on a missing person case, can you help?
If you are looking for a short film idea for your thesis project, you might like to peruse the website for story ideas. Just use the Google search tool within the website to find a list of stories pertinent to your area. If you have a few that you would like to pursue, and have questions please reach out to me. I should be able to answer some questions for you and even steer you to where you can find out more about the case, or talk with family members.
Also, if you are within 2 hours of Austin, I would be happy to meet up with you to help as talent or researcher on your project.